Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Thrift Store Find

  1. #1
    Inactive Member cymru's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2003
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi,

    I'm a newbie to Super 8, but I've heard about it, and when I stumbled across a Sankyo Super CM 300 at my store... I had to take a look.

    It's not in perfect condition... the batteries are coroded, a bit of rust, and it doesn't seem to focus too well... is it salvagable???

  2. #2
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Broken super 8 cameras aren't usually easy to fix. It may likely cost you more time and effort than you could pick up a mint one off of eBay. I would probably pass on that deal....

    If your familiar with cameras and are sure it won't focus correctly it is a major problem. Corroded battery compartments can be a big deal too, and sometimes can leak into other sensative parts of the camera.

    What adds insult to injury are the prices these shops want for nearly obselete stuff. A shop by my house wanted $90 for a heavy-as-hell GAF super 8 sound camera. And no, it didn't come with any sound film either!

  3. #3
    Inactive Member c_77's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2001
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    There are still a ton of great condition super 8 cameras out there; especially on eBay. If a camera looks in bad shape don't bother with it. Nothing worse than a beat up camera. You will never find replacement parts, that's for sure! Also keep in mind that these were important and expensive items in the past and should be in great shape.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member cymru's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 13th, 2003
    Posts
    2
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok... I've done a bit of asking around. I went to a camera shop and I guy managed to fix the focusing... so it focuses just fine now.

    As for the battery pack, I cleaned out the carroded battery pack area, but the pack itself is broken in half, and it doesn't seem to power up. Is there someplace or someone who would have a powerpack???

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Skyliner's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2003
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Sankyo battery holders do tend to crack, and different models have different contact configurations. I have successfuly bound one of mine with sellotape wound firmly around it lengthways, making sure it is well stuck to the 'flat'areas, then cut around the contacts with a craft knife. It wont last too long but will let you test the camera for a film or 3.
    Having said that, the other guys are right, there are millions of cheap super8's out there (around 60 million was the last estimate I heard) so don't waste too much energy on a dud!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •